PURPOSE OF THE QUALIFICATION
This programme is aimed at the transfer of skills in all aspects of repairing and fitting tyres. The qualifying
learners will be able to select and use automobile lifting equipment, repair and fit different types of tyres
and inspect wheels on different types of vehicles. The learner will also be capable of checking and adjusting
steering geometry systems on vehicles and identify faulty components. They will also be capable of
removing and replacing a wheel; interchanging the wheels; determining the serviceability of a wheel and
tyre; and balancing a wheel and tyre assembly. The learner will be able to demonstrate knowledge of
vehicle tyre standards; demostrating knowledge of vehicle tyres, types and sizes; diagnosing and rectifying
abnormalities in vehicle trye conditions; demonstratinf knowledge of vehicle wheels and rectify wheel defects.
The learners will also be able to select and use the appropriate fire fighting equipment to extinguish or
control fires in the workplace.
|TITLE :||Tyre Repairing Skills NLRD Sp0853/13-17|
|SAQA ID :||From 67809|
|ACCREDITING AUTHORITY :||MERSETA|
|PROGRAMME DURATION :||460 hours of training (30% Theory) 70% Work based practical learning)|
EXIT LEVEL OUTCOMES:
On completion of this qualification learners are able to:
- Lifting equipment includes vehicle hoists (two post or four post), jacks (floor and hand)
- Demonstrate knowledge of fitting and repairing tyres and inspecting wheels.
- Repair a puncture in a tube and tubeless tyre.
- Plan and prepare for checking and adjusting of steering geometry.
- Position vehicle and perform pre-checks and analyse information.
- Perform wheel alignment and adjustment.
- Apply quality and safety procedures when checking and adjusting steering geometry.
- Remove, replace and interchange wheels from light and heavy commercial vehicles.
- Remove light and heavy commercial vehicle tyres from wheels.
- Repair damage to tyres, tubes and valves.
- Repair punctured tubeless tyres.
- Fit light and heavy commercial vehicle tubed and tubeless tyres to wheels.
- Determine the serviceability of a wheel and tyre.
- Balance a wheel and tyre assembly.
- Demonstrate knowledge of vehicle tyre standards, types and sizes.
- Diagnose and rectify tyre abnormalities in vehicle tyre conditions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of vehicle wheels and rectify wheel defects.
- Discuss and explain procedures for dealing with fires in the workplace
- Identify the type of fire, its context and select the appropriate fire fighting procedure
- Identify, select and check appropriate fire fighting and safety equipment
- Fight containable/extinguishable fires
- Retreat from fire site and hand over to appropriate personnel
- Report/record status of fire and equipment
UNIT STANDARDS :
|TYPE||SAQA ID||UNIT STANDARD TITLE||NQF LEVEL||CREDITS|
|Regular||12213||Select and use automobile lifting equipment||2||3|
|Regular||9869||Repair punctures and fit tyres to wheels||3||9|
|Regular||15100||Check and adjust steering geometry||3||4|
|Regular||9864||Repair and replace light and heavy commercial
|Regular||9867||Remove and replace wheels and tyres, and
|Regular||9868||Demonstrate knowledge of, and rectify faults in
motor vehicle tyres and wheels
|Regular||12484||Perform basic fire fighting||2||4|