PURPOSE OF EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT NQF 5
The Higher Certificate is designed to provide access to higher education for many experienced and skilled ECD
practitioners and trainers who do not have recognised qualifications.
The purpose of this qualification is to:
- Develop ECD ETD practitioners (e.g. home-based, centre- and school-based practitioners including Grade R, family and community ECD motivators, fieldworkers, facilitators, trainers and managers) to provide
appropriate education, training and development services in the ECD sub-field.
- Enable ECD ETD practitioners to use their knowledge of child growth and development from birth to nine
years and relevant national policies to guide their professional practice in the ECD sub-field.
|TITLE :||Higher Certificate : Early Childhood Developlment|
|SAQA ID :||64649|
|ACCREDITING AUTHORITY :||ETDP SETA|
|PROGRAMME DURATION :||1 230 hours (30% Theory 70% Work based practical learning)|
EXIT LEVEL OUTCOMES:
On completion of this qualification learners are able to:
- Mediate active learning in an integrated and holistic learning programme.
- Facilitate learning and development of children with barriers to learning and other special needs, including those coping with abuse and violence, within an inclusive anti-bias approach.
- Promote the safety and healthy development of each child.
- Manage a well-planned and organised learning programme to meet the needs of individual children within the framework of the national school curriculum (where appropriate).
- Select and use appropriate methods and procedures for assessing children`s progress and reporting on this to parents.
- 7. Promote the development of high quality ECD programmes and services.
- National Certificate: Early Childhood Development NQF Level 4
- Candidates must be a South African citizen
- Candidates must be between 19 – 29 years of age
UNIT STANDARDS :
|TYPE||SAQA ID||UNIT STANDARD TITLE||NQF LEVEL||CREDITS|
|Core||13855||Develop and manage the ECD learning programme||Level 5||36|
|Core||13853||Mediate active learning in ECD programmes||Level 5||12|
|Core||13854||Promote healthy development in ECD programmes||Level 5||10|
|Fundamental||8647||Apply workplace communication skills||Level 5||5|
|Fundamental||13925||Present information in a public setting||Level 5||15|
|Elective||244260||Facilitate a Life Skills Learning Programme in the Reception Year||Level 5||15|
|Elective||244257||Facilitate a Literacy Learning Programme in the Reception Year||Level 5||15|
|Elective||244256||Facilitate a Numeracy Learning Programme in the Reception Year||Level 5||15|